Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Just Like Music

Photobucket

I love music.

Like, I really, REAL-LY LOVE music.

Spanning an array of genre's, I've always looked at music as being a soundtrack to life (as many of us do). When done properly, Music conjures spirits and emotions of long lasting love, abominable anger, jubilant joy and celebration, threatening fear, utopian hope, admonitory caution, dreadful sadness, compassionate reconciliation, extreme hate, wonderful insight, lustful passion, and just ignant shyt.

I feel like many songs/artists have been specifically placed on this third rock from the sun for the sole purpose to speak to me. Whether it's...

...Souljah Boy's "Yaah Trick Yaah" providing me with endless comical fodder, or DJ Jazzy Jeff and The Fresh Prince (I refuse to call him Will Smith) giving me early relationship advice with "Girls Of The World Ain't Nothin' But Trouble", or Bill Withers' "Lovely Day" played sequentially with "Feels So Good" by Chuck Mangione when I first wake up shielding me completely of having a bad day, or Kenny Loggins and Michael McDonald's "This Is It" providing an inpirational kick-in-the-ass...

...All of these songs serves its purpose.

**SIDENOTE: I HAVE to be the first person in the history of EVER to mention Souljah Boy in the same sentence as Kenny Loggins. END SIDENOTE**

There's something very special about music. It's a universal language that may be striking to some and dismal to others depending on the song. Some people gravitate to orchestration and musicianship, some to pounding beats and intricate samples, others to introspective lyrics that they can relate to or give a window into the soul of an artist.

*hearing someone breaking out the Dave Chappelle "Wrap It Up" device*

Ok, I say all that to say, I've only bought TWO CD's this year (so far). Not saying that there's not other quality joints out there, but I have my reasons.

One being Killer Mike's "Pledge Allegiance To The Grind part 2" and most recently Solange's "Sol- Angel and The Hadley St. Dreams".

I must say that I'm throughly impressed with Solange's CD...the joint is BANGIN'!!

Bangin'....BANGIN'!!

Pick it up!! Pick it up!! *blanket Poison Clan reference*

I usually don't care for CG (computer generated) and I stay away from it, but I likes both of Solange's videos...them shyt's tight.

I'm not gonna give a review of "Sol-Angel..." but if you love quality music (with an old school feel), you needs that in your life...fa' real.

13 comments:

MzGunn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
MzGunn said...

Oh snap! Someone else who actually likes Solange too!! I thought I was the only one. I love her videos. They are sooooo much fun, very colorful and creative, not to mention very reminiscent of my favorite artistic movement: Pop Art!! I like how she's bringing something new to the game. Well, not completely new, since her sound is clearly inspired by music from the 60s and 70s, but the girl definitely puts her own spin on things. I digg that. Great post Dame!

Monk said...

"Oh snap! Someone else who actually likes Solange too!! I thought I was the only one. I love her videos." - MzGunn

Her CD has really taken a hold on me and has stayed put in my CD player for the past week. Not to mention, I dig the songs she leaked on her blog.

I can go on and on about the FLAVOR in her music, but I really wish more people embrace this disc without bias.

Her vocals aren't the strongest, but they work. I know Kelly is kicking herself right now because she didn't come out with this style.

GOODENess said...

I have been diggin Solange since her "Star" album came out..I was in Houston at the time and Matthew wa blanketimg my college campus with her work! She marches to the beat of her own drum! Like ME! She is stylish but not trendy...Like ME! and she is talented, orginal, makes MUSIC not just radio friendly junk food!

again...this is why I heart you!

Telese said...

BIG HUUUUUGGGEEE LONG SIGH!!!....Here we go.....now I realized a little while back that with the exception of all of the nostalgic-bringing-back-the-old days stuff we are geared in slightly different directions as far as musical taste go, but since I do respect your musical taste(because I know you really do LOOOOVVVVEE music the way I do) I decided (oh look a little pun...lol) to give her CD one more try. Others had told me they liked it and I checked it and wasn't so impressed but this time I went ahead and hit Rhapsody so that I could hear more than just a few moments of each song....and unfortunately for my ears the answer is still no. Now I will not say it's bad but it's far from good. The vocals of course are just not up to par and the regergated(sp?)(and I mean that in the most negative way) 60's sound is something I am just not a fan of...a big part of the reason I also did not rush to grab my seat on the Amy Crackhouse I mean Whinehouse bandwagon. I grew up in a house with a born and raised Detroit Girl who also sang herself so Motown was the standard and it just doesn't sit well for me to hear women attempt to "redo" thesound of The Supremes, Tami Terrell,and Aretha Franklin...just not ok. Granted there are some songs that I would say are cool and I wouldn't change the station if it were on the radio but there is nothing here I would pay my money for...I can't even really say she could $0.99 on iTunes. I do applaud the creativity in the videos and her style in general though...Okay, now....***covering my ears in prepartion** go ahead and respond...LOL!!!!!!!

Monk said...

My dear Telese, you can't possibly have the same CD that I have. I REFUSE to believe that your taste in music is that horrible that you don't love Solange's latest disc. I refuse.

OR...

Maybe it's just been a while since you've disagreed with me and you just miss that warm and fuzzy feeling you get from being dead wrong.

OR...

Maybe you're just having a bad day.

Who knows...

Regardless, I can no longer put any stock in your opinion of good music any more. Of course Solange's vocals aren't the strongest but neither is your homegirl Diana Ross'. Hell, my all-time favorite artist Stevie Wonder doesn't have the best singing abilities either, but I like him just the same.

Now maybe you're just listening to a few songs on your raggedy computer speakers so you're not getting the full 'Solange experience'. If that's the case, I excuse you.

By the way, I LOVED-ED your pun ;-)

Telese said...

You are absolutely right we can't possibly have the same CD because I don't own that trash...LOL!!! Now granted Ms. Ross doesn't have the strongest voice but she is the originator (wait can't disrespect Mr. Gordy like that), correction, the face and voice of the original sound so she doesn't have to be better than someone else. When someone is apart or sets a standard that is unique to them, whether liked or not if it has some musicial value it will always garner respect simply for being having the courage to venture out and be different. However when you are a remixed copycat you need to knock it out of the ballpark which I will at least give Ms. Crackhouse(Amy) credit for, her voice on it's own is undeniable. Solange isn't even in tune sometimes....I don't recall Ms. Ross being tone death no matter how weak the vocals...LOL!!! Like I said I don't hate Solange's CD and under no other circumstances would I say this but can somebody please pass the Beyonce...LOL!!

P.S. I soooo get a warm, fuzzy feeling from being dead RIGHT...(I fixed your typo for you...lol!!)

Monk said...

Right, you are not.

I'm not saying that Solange has created a 'new sound', but the CD is a refreshing escape from what's out there right now.

I think you're just a hater...LOL!!
*pats Telese on the top of her head*

It's ok...I love you just the same as I did before I discovered that your musical taste buds were a tad bit screwed.

Telese said...

My musical taste is just fine...you on the other hand I don't know about...they say the sense of taste is one of the first things to go in your old age, I always thought they meant the actual physical sense of taste...guess they meant taste in every sense of the word..."it's okay hunnie" **rubbing Damon's back**..."go and have a seat in the living room and I'll bring you some tea and a slice of pound, who needs good taste in music when you have pound cake, right?....LOL!!!!!!!!

Monk said...

An age attack?? A got damn AGE ATTACK???? Serious, you cannot be.

I'll let you slide with that since you're bringin' my 'old' ass some cake. I'll take my tea green...thank you...and oh yeah, can you please turn up the Solange disc that's playing in the stereo. My jam is 'bout to come on. You're such a sweetheart...lol.

Telese said...

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......I don't know why I love attacking your age....as if we're not around the same age...just can't help it since you kind of have that old soul feel....LOL!!!!!

Monk said...

:-)
I'll take that as a compliment.

*blushing*

Telese said...

And it was meant as one:-)....**Awwwww at Damon blushing**