Friday, February 12, 2010

Is John Mayer A Nigga?



This, of course, is a touchy subject and I'm still kinda more nonchalant about it compared to others (some of my "brothas and sistas"). Maybe I'm just personally disconnected and could give a fuck less. Maybe I don't put much stock into what other (not my "brothas and sistas") people think of me or my..."brothas and sistas". Maybe I feel like it's just a word and I'm of the 'sticks and stones' theorem so the idea of a white person using the word "nigger" just doesn't hurt me, EVEN when put out there on some type of public medium. It's not surprising. I almost expect it in some sort of desensitized, "put nothing past no one"-way. I've been here long enough to know that that's how people talk (even if they won't admit it). Not suggesting that it's an everyday occurrence, but I'll look at someone with a major side-eye if they have reached their adult years and won't admit to EVER saying something that wasn't offensive (indirectly or directly) towards someone or a group of people. That's people just being people. Everyone's not a fuggin' saint...let's be real. That's how people talk.



So, when I read word that Black chicks' favorite white boy singer, John Mayer, used the word "NIGGER" in an interview with Playboy and basically said that his dick was racist, it came as no surprise to me.



==============

Playboy: Do black women throw themselves at you?

Mayer: I don't think I open myself to it. My dick is sort of like a white supremacist. I've got a Benetton heart and fuckin' David Duke cock. I'm going to start dating separately from my dick.



Also in the interview:



Playboy: If you didn't know you, would you think you're a douche bag?

Mayer: It depends on what I picked up. My two biggest hits are "Your Body Is A Wonderland" and "Daughters". If you think those songs are pandering, then you'll think I'm a douche bag. It's like I come on very strong. I am a very...I'm just very. V-E-R-Y. And if you can't handle very, then I'm a douche bag. But I think the world needs a little very. That's black people love me.

Playboy: Because you're very?

Mayer: Someone asked me the other day, "What does it feel like now to have a hood pass?" And by the way, it's sort of a contradiction in terms, because if you really had a hood pass, you could call it a nigger pass. Why are you pulling a punch and calling it a hood pass? But I said, "I can't really have a hood pass. I've never walked into a restaurant, asked for a table and been told, 'We're full.'"

Playboy: It is true: a lot of rappers love you. You recorded with Common and Kanye West, played live with Jay-Z.

Mayer: What is being black? It's making the most of your life, not taking a single moment for granted. Taking something that's seen as a struggle and making it work for you, or you'll die inside. Not to say that my struggle is like the collective struggle of black America. But maybe my struggle is similar to one black dude's.

================



Not sure how you look at it.




Don't care.




I'm aware that John Mayer is a musician, but is he really any different from all the Black white, latino, asian, middle-eastern cats on Comedy Central comedians who use what some may consider offensive language?




In my opinion, John was in a really comfortable space and he felt like he could REALLY speak his mind. Yeah, nigga, No.




He kinda recanted on his twitter page saying this:




"Re: using the ‘N word’ in an interview: I am sorry that I used the word. And it’s such a shame that I did because the point I was trying to make was in the exact opposite spirit of the word itself. It was arrogant of me to think I could intellectualize using it because I realize that there’s no intellectualizing a word that is so emotionally charged. And while I’m using today for looking at myself under harsh light, I think it’s time to stop trying to be so raw in interviews…It started as an attempt to not let the waves of criticism get to me, but it’s gotten out of hand and I’ve created somewhat of a monster. I wanted to be a blues guitar player. And a singer. And a songwriter. Not a shock jock. I don’t have the stomach for it. Again, because I don’t want anyone to think I’m equivocating: I should have never said the word and I will never say it again."


Ha! I'm not sure about y'all, but I'm tired of the insincere, blanket, obligatory "I'm sorry's", "sorry for my inner-demons", rehab stints done by celebrities to save face. Shiiddd...Face That Shyt Nigga! Everybody's so politically correct nowadays...but that's a different story. *thinking to self honestly (how many y'all do that)...and raising hand as I may be guilty too*




Bottomline: The nigga just prefer white pussy. Just so happens the "nigga" I'm referring to is actually white. In essence, he likes his own, which is a trait that I know many Black women appreciate in their men.




Will I stop buying his music because of this?




Miss me with that. Although he has some cool songs and I like the blues vibe, I ain't never been no fan of his like that (if 2 negatives make it a positive, then 3 negatives must make it a negative, right?). Yeah, he's cool with a couple of my favorite Hip Hop artists, but shiiiddd...that doesn't mean I'm suppose to jock him. He's not in my iTunes.




Funny thing is, some Black women who may be offended and upset by his statements will soon forget about it and continue their support. They'll be no boycotts, no CD burnings and trashing, no John Mayer iTunes catalog deleting, no call to arms over this. Lucky for John Mayer he's not a Black man.




Yeah.




On one last note, even though John Mayer has received the "fucking" when it comes to this whole ordeal, does anyone see how PLAYBOY "baited" him with their question? Don't they deserve a little "hate" too? Just askin'...


No comments: