Saturday, July 18, 2009

P.S.A. - Stupidest Shyt I Ever Heard!!


After attending elementary, middle, high, college, and grad schools, it seems like a lot of folks I know are truly trying to stake their claim on the American Dream. Those who haven't gone as far in education and has chose other career paths, jobs, military, "marrying rich", hustling, or whatever to create the life they are conditioned to believe as THEIR "American Dream" is on that path as well to their proverbial pot of gold.

Sort of.

To quote the "Jefferson's" theme song, everybody wants their "piece of the pie".

EVERYBODY.

However, it's been a current (maybe not so current) trend that people DON'T NEED SLEEP. Many individuals in pop culture has pushed this idea out to the masses that in order to obtain their status and live their unglorious lives, one must NEVER SLEEP.

Take a (re-read) moment if you must... but, YES, there are people who feel like you (or they) need to hustle 25/8.

*in my Katt Williams' voice*
Are you seriously hating on SLEEP??

You know what though? Everybody needs fuggin' sleep. Everybody. Rest. Vacation. Natural day-to-day SLEEP!! Not to mention, some people just REALLY do need their "beauty sleep".

I constantly hear people exclaim that sentiment and I respect people's decisions to the fullest. Although, I do tend to question them. I'm inquisitive like that. It's not a judgemental quality at all, just me gaining insight into how they feel and view things.

The more you know.

With that said, I truly question the mantra of "not sleeping" or "sleep is for the weak" or "sleep when you die" amongst business professionals, hustlers, artists, ANY ONE.

Sleep is fuggin' natural. Your body NEEDS it...just like food and air. Try holding your breath forever and see where that gets you, David Blain.

I understand the idea of not "overly sleeping" or "sleeping on opportunities" and unnecessarily wasting time, but living by the assumption that "sleep" is (insert anything negative), is the stupidest shyt I've heard. Actually, I've heard a lot of stupid shyt so it might not be the "stupidest" but it definitely rates in the upper tier.

Sleep is important for:
*Concentration
*Memory formation and bolstering your memory
*Repairing damage to your body's cells during the day
*Maintaining a healthier heart
*Reducing stress
*Preventing cancer
*Reducing inflammation
*Losing weight
*Reducing your risk for depression


Lack of sleep increases the risk for:
*developing obesity
*diabetes
*cardiovascular disease
*infections
*a bad fuggin' attitude!!


Unfortunately, I lot of people have also been duped into believing that their daily trip to Starbucks can make up for the drowsy feeling they have. Caffeine is not a replacement for good ol' fashioned sleep and resting up. I know we all have busy lifestyles and a few hours of sleep is something that may seem expendable because you're trying to provide a better life and lifestyle for yourself and your children, but is the health risks and valuable years you may be taking off your life really worth it?

So next time someone says something to the effect of "I don't sleep", "I'm a hustler baby, we don't sleep", or "I don't need sleep, I'm tryin' to get this paper," please refer them to this post. Take heed...I may just save your life. Thank me later and shyt :-)

This has been a Public Service Announcement brought to you by the good folks at Presidential Television and Film.

No comments: