Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Is this MEAN?


I recently had a conversation with an old acquaintance of mine and it went a lil' somethin' like this:

Old Acquaintance: So what you been up to playa?
Me: Tryin' ta make a dollar out of fifteen cents...you know how it is...
O.A.: Actually, I don't. I've been doing pretty damn good. Eatin' good...lookin' good...ridin' good...the hoes love it when you stay fresh. Knowwhatimsayin'? You still doin' the little video shyt?
Me: Yeah...things have slowed up a bit, but you know...it's like a marathon, not a sprint sometimes.
O.A.: Yeah, I got some niggas I fuck wit'...I might want you to shoot somethin' for them. How's ATL treatin' you man? What type of car you in now?
Me: Just a lil' bucket...'94 Infiniti.
O.A.: *cocky chuckle* Nigga we GRADUATED in NINETY-FOUR!!

He continues on about how he attended one-year of college, started hustling, and dropped out to hustle full time. In the past 15 yrs. ('94-'09) he spent close to 36 months in jail, has two daughters by two different women, two Mercedes', and lost two of his closest buddies living the hustler's lifestyle. Convo continues...

O.A.: Damn, "Mr. Big-Time Video Director!!" I thought you would be doin' better than that, down there in ATL.
Me: At least I didn't lose two of my homies who were MURDERED because of their "career" paths.

Was I wrong for that?



***By the way, I didn't say that last statement...or at least not in those words.***

2 comments:

Telese said...

Just as he questioned your choices in life then he should be able to take it when some calls into question the life he lives. Personally I think choosing to sacrifice your life for a car or Gucci shoes while killing your people in the process and cementing your soul's space in hell is eons beyond ignorance. On most occasions I reserve my opinions for when asked but when you ask or call my life into question then it's all fair game and the gloves come off

Monk said...

I feel you, but for the most part, I'm not like that. Just because someone questions my life on some stupid childish shyt (which it kinda is - my life's better than yours), I don't feel the need to go there with them. Being the naturally witty, clever, smart ass that I am, of course I could stoop to that level, but why?

I'm not saying such is the case with him, but I do know a lot of people bring down others to make themselves feel better or to give themselves a proverbial "pat on the back". But shiiidddd...I know I'm the shyt already (with or without the stuff that they like). Because of the person I am, I'm not even enthused by the same shyt a lot of people are. I have no problem letting them get their little "boost"...that's what friends are for...I guess.

With that said, I might say some stupid shyt like "so when are you gonna buy that shyt to cryopreserve yourself like Michael Jackson wanted to do? Nigga, we gon' die"...LOL!!