Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Now THAT'S Television!!

Photobucket

"Tiny & Toya"

I think it's a very good show that is much needed. I know many people who bashed it from its onset (and before it even aired) just based on Tiny and Toya's persona, but if you sincerely watch the show from an unbiased standpoint, you'll quickly recognize that it has redeemable qualities and gives a unique look into the lives of these women and obstacles they face.

I'm by no means saying that it's emmy-worthy or anything like that, but I do feel it has gotten an unjust bad rap just because people have passed judgement on them and the network and already have a preconceived notion that it's a bunch of crock.

Honestly, once you get pass the deep-southern accents of the ladies (in which a significant number of folks in the south really sound like), you'll realize that the real issues that these women face are common place in the Black community and are often taboo topics that we rarely discuss, let alone air on national television. The show's previews that were heavily promoted didn't spark my interest in the least bit, but I gave it a shot any way and was pleasantly surprised.

It disheartens me however to read or hear people's (especially Black people) negative remarks towards the show when they haven't even watched it. This is a plague that has swarmed over us for too long and I feel like in a way it's the manifestation of the whole 'crabs in a bucket' syndrome. There's a deeply-rooted "hate" (for lack of a better term) that exists in many of us and we just don't want to see others succeed and we make our discontent known to others who in turn hop on the bandwagon when it becomes a popular opinion. I hope I'm making sense to you.

And for those who have watched the show and concluded that they didn't like it, this isn't referring to you at all.

With that said, I encourage all (especially ignorant muafuggas who pass judgement on such things without actually seeing for themselves) take the time out and either watch it and form an opinion on it or shut the fugg up.

Thank you kindly for reading :-)

3 comments:

Telese said...

I was admittedly at first not enthused by the commericals leading up to the series however I still gave it a try and I agree. It is a pretty good show. They are not the hot ghetto mess Neffie and Frankie are and they address real relationship issues. The only obstacle I agree is getting pass the think accents which Toya's I like (always been a fan of an NO accent). However if you can take the time to watch shows that are drenched in NY and Boston accents( lots of reality people are from the two) then you should be able to adjust to the charm of a Southern accent to get to the heart of this show.

Monk said...

Hahahahahaaaa!! You said "charm of the southern accent". Ain't no charm in that shyt...lol!! I don't discount it but chicks don't get no points for that...lol!!

Telese said...

I'm trying to be nice...lol!!!:-P