Friday, June 5, 2009

My Sound's Laid Down By The Underground


Digital Underground definitely broke the mold in the late 80's when it comes to hip hop groups. Lead by Shock G, his alter-ego, Humpty Hump, and Money B, (and the "Piano Man"...not sure if he was an official member) the group took the whole fun vibe that existed before them to new heights while encouraging all to "DoWhutChaLike". They also introduced the artist who is arguably hip hop's most relevant cultural icon ever, 2Pac.

About twenty years later, I came across these rare videos of Shock opening up at a Seattle comedy club. I vividly recall the first time I heard "Freaks Of The Industry" and was bugging out off of how he used multiple choice questions in the lyrics. Crazy Creative. The story played out like a Cinemax movie in my mind detailing the kinky thought process with equally imaginative visuals. It instantly was my favorite song on the tape. Thus, this video from a couple of years back gave me a nostalgic sensation and prompted me to post this. Enjoy.


Here's an added bonus with him covering Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

2 comments:

genius khan said...

thanks for the classic Shock G shit! am i old or do i just not know what good is cause that shit was good. waaavy.

a team is being assembled. HATER's BEWARE. on August 1st 2009 when all the experts have failed, you need a genius. behold! the OFFICIAL, UNIVERSAL, EXCLUSIVE and INAUGURAL "HATER'S DAY." coming soon at hatersday.com

Monk said...

I'll stay tuned bruh...