Monday, August 11, 2008

LIFE CELEBRATION!!

Photobucket
The Thomas/Bacon Family on Vacation

In the past few days, the world has lost two GREAT entertainers. I'm a fan of their work, true indeed, but I do know that God takes the souls of GREAT people off of this planet EVERYDAY as He sees fit. This includes everyday people who may have never constructed one of the best ">sountracks of all time or made millions of people ">laugh on a weekly/daily basis. Fact of the matter remains - We've all lost people who have impacted our lives and who were/are dear to us and they shall always remain in our hearts.

After the (selfish) mourning, we realize (or HOPE in some cases) that they're in a "better place". In the ONE funeral I have gone to in my 31 years on this third rock from the sun, it was called a "Celebration Of Life". In conversations with friends and associates, many people who have lost loved ones have also attended funerals that were "promoted" (for lack of a better word) as "CELEBRATIONS OF LIFE". This is cool and all but what about celebrating life while we're STILL here???? Hmmmm...there's a thought.

Several years ago, my mom started something that my immediate and extended family have participated in and shall continue. Every year we have a get-together. I wouldn't neccessarily consider it a 'family reunion' because it's usually a relatively small group (although many are invited and welcome to join in the festivities).

For lack of better words, FUCK THE HOLIDAYS!!

Many people scramble through airports, train stations, or jam into rental cars that claim to be 'medium sized' when it hold the capacity of a GIO Prizm during THOSE times. Not to mention, I REALLY think rental car companies are out for blood...but that's a different story.

Regardless, my MOM have taken a step that my family hasn't done in a while. In the past years we've ventured to the Bahamas...Houston, TX,...Las Vegas,NV (while stopping at the Grand Canyon)...Orlando, FL...'THE D' and Cedar Point (OH)...and Myrtle Beach, SC.

No Holiday involved.

Just US getting together when we could.

I Love My Family.

With that said, I'd like to share some photos and video of our most recent excursion. Shout out to my sister, Brit (who's expecting my first niece or nephew come February) and my bruh Brian (whom I did a cool photo shoot with while I was in the 'D')...I hate that y'all missed the trip, but I understand. ALSO, Thanks to my cousins Raul (and Tameka) and Al for allowing their sons to come...we had a good time.

R.I.P. to Bernie Mac and Isaac Hayes

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket Photobucket




Here's some footage of us at the Acquarium there:



and my cousin Derrick KILLING IT on the dance game at the arcade at Broadway By The Beach:



Funeral...TENS OF THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS.

Celebrating LIFE while still on Earth...PRICELESS!!


4 comments:

Telese said...

I like this...made me even more excited about going to visit my family this week...I love them soooo much and I always try to let them know how much they mean to me. Oh and I have to say that you are beyond blessed for never having to attend more than one funeral in your life....my family unfortunately has had many die young, probably because we consume life and everything it has to offer at all cost (too much unhealthy activity along with the healthy habits doesn't "balance each other out" as some family members love to claim). However, I will always love that most of my family memebers taught me how to enjoy life in the present while a few others taught me the value of planning for the future. My family used to get together for huge cookouts and other non-holiday related events including everyone meeting in Mississippi (where my father is from) every summer just so that the cousins in Detroit knew the cousins in LA, my family needs to get back on the ball even if we do still have family reunions I think we need more. Kudos to Mama Thomas for keeping her family together:-) By the way congrats on becoming "Uncle" Damon, you'll love it, I LOVE being an Auntie, my neice and nephew are my heart:-)

Princess Kandy said...

Awww I had a chance to peep the pics and they are awesome. Family has always meant a lot to me and I instill those values in my teens. I come from a huge family and quite honestly can say that I am the one who brings us together. I am usually the one throwing a party or cook-out or dinner just for the heck of it. But since I've moved to GA we now only get together 2-3 times a year.(Normally when I go home!!) But it doesn't stop me and my mini me's from traveling and partying for no reason at all.

Kudos to your mom for keeping her family together!!

Now, when you gonna get married and have kids to be in the pics?!?!? LMBAO

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Monk said...

*Telese:
Thanks for your kind words (You BET' NOT have anything negative to say about this post...lol.). I've lost friends and family members so I wouldn't neccessarily say I'm "blessed" for only attending one. Actually, the one I attended wasn't even a family or friend of mine. I went for emotional support. I'm not really a fan of funerals I guess you can say and this is part of the reason I wanted to post this post. We REALLY need to tell our loved ones we love them while they're here as oppose to laying in a casket breaking down and going through all the madness and drama.

@Kandy:
Kudos to you for keeping the family thing going...That's Great!! And sometimes people don't appreciate it at the time but they will eventually.

jacinta said...

man, i need a family vacation. i'm glad ya'll get together like that on a yearly basis. time is short. we should cherish the days we've got.