Monday, July 21, 2008

High Jump The Broom

Photobucket

BEFORE

Photobucket

AFTER

"When I shoot the moon, high jump the broom / Like a premie out the womb; My partner yellin' 'Too soon! / Don't do it! Reconsider! Read Some Litera-ture on the subject / You Sure? Fuck it...'" - Andre 3000

See how dreamy the first photo is of the couple. The edges are blurred...the focus is soft around certain areas...and they're practically in Dream World.

On the second photo, EVERYTHING is clear and focused. The image is bold and unapologetic. This shyt seems so so real.

Anyway, I was listening to Michael Baisden's radio show a while back and they're talking about the proverbial "clean up woman" and "maintenance man". You know, the person that married people creep off with when their spouse isn't neccessarily responding to their "needs". Different callers have called in and voiced various opinions on how that side item can be a hinderance and even a BENEFIT to the actual marriage. Interesting stuff...

One caller posed the idea that marriages should possibly have an expiration date. Not like milk or sushi...but more like your drivers license. Let's face it, there's a great deal of marriages that start off GREAT with the promise of all that is good. That DREAM life - spouse that's gonna love you through thick and thin, raising kids to be productive members of society, growing together, yada, yada, yada...

I'm not hating on the traditional marriage, but I'm just sayin'...

Is THAT the ONLY way??

I'm yet to read a Bible passage that says every man and woman has a mate (or soulmate) that's here on this earth to fulfill all of their needs.

If you know of that passage, please let me know. Don't worry, I'll wait...

So, ummm, how would this marriage license renewal thing work?

Let's say, if every four or five years, you had to renew your wedding license. Keep in mind that the divorce rate is still around that 50% point and it's not faltering none. Also consider the fact that there's a great number of the other 50% who ARE still in their marriage that are NOT happy. ALSO consider that some of those folks in "Happy" marriages are also involved in relationships with "clean up women" and "maintenance men".

I'm not condoning infedelity, I just think it's best to have an open dialogue and think about other options that may make a marriage work as oppose to living a lie or living in unhappiness. I know it may sound radical, but believe it or not, the thought of divorce was also radical once upon a time...and now it's the norm.

I'm at that age where I'm constantly asked by family, friends, associates, muthafuggas that I barely fuggin' know, and others, "When am I going to get married?" My answer's usually either, "The day people like you stop askin' me," or "February 31st" or "Never-ary 31st". Although I haven't decided which path I will choose to take, I think one should be open to alternate ways of living. Your 'American Dream' just might not be MY 'American Dream'. Plus, I think it's fucked up that society tends to look at people in a negative way if they're a certain age and never been married. Shiiiidddd...that's WORST than being DIVORCED in most cases. Anyway...

What do you think??

7 comments:

Telese said...

An marriage license that expires is far from a solution to anything. Do you know how many people let their insurance and driver's license lapse? The same thing would happen with marriage licenses', and then you would have the courts flooded with all kinds of issues when people die and realize their "spouse" was no longer just that, more trouble than it's worth.

Now in terms of the "American Dream" I am also one who has been back and forth on what it is I really want...I am not sure that marriage is for me but yet I don't want to be single forever either, so I agree an open dialogue is needed to determine what really works for both parties, for some people it's an open marriage for some it's that live together without the piece of paper till the end of our days type of thing. Sometimes I think people who don't have a traditional outlook on marriage are the ones who have the best marriages, who knows??

I am co-signing on it being fucked up the way society views the single person over 25 and I think for women the child thing is crazy. I would love to know how my parents went from "Don't come in here with no babies" to "You found me a son-in-law yet and where are my grandbabies" so damn quickly!

Monk said...

@Telese,

I'm in agreeance with this.

Telese said...

Wow!!! **almost falling off my chair**...he agrees!!:-)...lol!!

Kit (Keep It Trill) said...

Monk, I think this was funny enough that a good comedian could get a lot of laughs from it. BTW, I smiled at your pic; you were a cute kid, too. Maybe one day you'll want to get hitched and have a mini-me, good luck IF you do. Hope you get one with the same sense of humor.

MzGunn said...

When you speak of marriage, are you referring to it in the biblical sense, or simply under the guise of American law?

I want to respond to this post, but I'm not sure which direction to go in LOL.

I'm back Dame!!! Have you missed me? hahahahahahaha

Princess Kandy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Princess Kandy said...

LOL WOW!! Did I tell you I love you this week? I will be the first to admit that I don't think I'll get married. I have had the chance on more than 1 occassion and for some reason or another I found an excuse not to go through with it. I have nothing against committment, I do however have something against committing to someone and then finding out months or years later your ass is crazy and then having to PAY somebody to tell me I can get rid of you and then possibly having to give you half of my stuff and pay you monthly to stay away from me. LMAO

As for the biblical passage, it doesn't exists. Not everyone should be married. Not everyone wants to be married. The Bible never insists that everyone be married, although that is what we were created for. The Bible actually states that some people have been ordained with the gift of singleness. Others are single by chance or circumstance.