Sunday, July 13, 2008

Good Ol' Days

Photobucket


This weekend, I've been watching a multitude of music videos from the 80's-early 90's era. Christopher Williams, EnVogue, Jodeci, and SWV were a few acts on the playist - classic material to say the least. After singing along, laughing at the dance steps, and reminiscing on the good ol' days, my friend said she missed the avant-garde sensuality that was a theme in most of the videos. They were sexy, but not over the top as they are today.

Uhhhh, yeah. They were very classy and subtle in an artsy fartsy way. That's good and all...

BUT, I miss the RAW element of HipHop music videos of the past. There's nothing more artsy than seeing Luther Campbell swim between the spread legs of several chicks in a swimming pool. Just to see Luke sink into the water with a cigar in his mouth is enough to make me (and Hugh Hefner) smile.

*Luke "I Wanna Rock"*



***SideNote: "Heeeeeeeyyyy...we want some puuuuu-say!" countered by "Heeeeeeeyyy...we want some D-I-C-K!!" has got to be one of the GREATEST call and responses ever!! End SideNote***

Being from Detroit, I was sucked into the unescapable abyss of bass, techno (also known as Detrechno), and dance music that played on the radio, clubs, car systems, and 'The New Dance Show' (Remember 'The Scene'??)

***SideNote Number TWO: If You're From Detroit, You MUST CLICK THOSE LINKS!!*

***SideNote Number THREE: Remember when they would advertise strip clubs on TV???? (Female and Male)

Sure we liked lyrical cats like Kane, story tellers like Slick Rick, pioneers like Run-DMC, and gangsta shyt from Spice-1, but didn't anything get the party started like some 2 Live Crew or Splack Pack.

*Splack Pack "Let Me C'Ya Work It"*



I remember being at Belle Isle listening to mixtapes as Splack Pack's eloquent words, "Shake That Ass Bitch And Let Me See What You Got", blasted through the speakers. Ahhh...those were the days. This was from an age where dudes were up front about what they wanted. There wasn't no beating around the bush or giving mixed signals to females. You gotta respect blatent honesty no matter who you are.

Ladies, would you rather a man LIE to you, give you subtle clues about what he wants, and play the passive-aggressive role just to get in between your sheets OR do you prefer a confident man who let's you know exactly what he's about from the get-go so you can make the decision for yourself without going through the bullshyt and games??

That's rhetorical. I already know the answer.

And don't get it twisted, guys weren't the only ones being upfront with their sexuality. Women got in on it too.

*Oaktown's 357 "Juicy"*



Damn they were pumpin' it hard...LOL!!

I'd be remiss if I left out one of the greatest groups of all time..

*Salt 'N Pepa "Shake Your Thang"



This is from a golden age in HipHop when the networks (damn I miss The Box) wasn't as scurred as they are today. It was all about having a party and letting off some steam. Speaking of 'party', this time-honored jam right here captures the essence of the word by itself.

*Luke "It's Your Birthday"*



When I came to Atlanta in '94, the bass movement was in full swing. This was the Freank-nik era - a time when raunchiness ruled. Damn, I wish I still had some of my video tapes from back then!! Since I don't I'll take you back to that place and time with this...

*DJ Kizzy Rock "Yeah, Shawty, Yeah"



At the time, I was a little too young to get into the renowed strip clubs of the 'A', but that video was suffice. Shout to The Gentlemen's Club and Club Nicki's though!!

Anyway, I guess I said all that to say, what we see in videos today ain't shyt compared to back in the good 'ol days.

Here Are Some More Great Raw Videos For Your Enjoyment.

13 comments:

Telese said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....OH MY GOD!!!!!....why did I have to open another window to comment because I couldn't bring myself to turn off I Wanna Rock....lol!!!! Being a Detroit girl I have to say I miss this right along with you:-)

I was dying at the New Dance Show more so because one of my sister's friends use to go on there every week and she would get teased so bad for it at school....and why was her ass all over that clip....lol!!!!! And why do I soooo remember all those Watts commericals....I remember dying laughing when they mention Watts in Brown Sugar...lol!!!

And finally we will not even discuss the dances I did to that damn Juicy song....right there on the strip on Belle Isle...lol!!! That is something I kind of miss is how in Detroit dancing was just dancing....nobody automatically assumed you were fucking because of a little bit of rauchy dancing....lol!! Can you tell I had to reel it in when I left home....LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Telese said...

Oops I meant to say my sister's friends MOTHER....LOL!!!!

Monk said...

@ Telese:

Yeah, that was the SHHHYYYTTTT!!!!

I wish I still had some of my old mixtapes. Damn I crave to hear "Elevator Up & Down" right now...lol.

Telese said...

OMG!!!!!!!....Elevator up, Elevator down was the jam....my two favorites though have always been Ass and Titties and Let's Have Sex on the Beach....man the girls in the dorm freshman year hated when I played my mixtapes...lol!!!

Princess Kandy said...

LMBO...Ok 1st off I am tired as all out doors from dancing with the videos. My kids were in here dying laughing, because I was rumbling through my collection about to pull out my old cassette tapes and get the party started.


Dang...I sure do miss the "GOOD" old days

Monk said...

@Princess Kandy,

I NEED a dub of those mixtapes if you're serious!!

@Telese,

"Ass and Titties"???? "Sex On The Beach"???? These are on my list for BEST SONGS EVER MADE...LOL!!!!

Remember "Chuck...Chuck...Chuck...Chuck...Chuck...Chuck...Chuck, Chuck, Chuck"?? LMYAO!!

"Beat That Bitch Wit' A Bat", "Hoe's In This House", "Too Much Booty In Ya Pants"????

Mr. 95 SOUTH said...

"What's that #1 Zodiac sign..." lol! Man, I love this blog bro! I'm From the Bottom aka 95 South where Luke and Uncle Al (RIP)use to set-up speakers on the block and have the whole hood going crazy. I'm kind of disappointed that you didn't have Jam Pony Express on here because they were at the forefront of the bass movement. Jam Pony showed the world how to regulate, which in Florida is basically speeding up the music and rapping over the track while you fill in your own words in between a bar with the artists lyrics. "Jam, jam, jam, jam, jam, jam, jam, jam pony...the worlds greatest Dj's!"

These were the days when everybody was booty shaking...period! And its sooo funny for me to see these dudes nowawdays in Miami who act all tough but when Do-do brown come on they hit the floor and start perculating and bussing it all over the dance floor! We must also remember Crazy Legs and Raheem "Loose my money honey"/ Poison Clans "Dance all night"/ Uncle Als "Dickey Ride"/ I know ya'll remember "Cowards from Compton Get robbed in Dade!" (Remember when Luke beat Dr. Dre's ass in Atlanta! lol.) We can't forget the 69 Boys either! One time for Duvvalll! And before I sign ff I gotta give a special shot out to Magic Mike because remember he cuts the records baby!

Mr. 95 SOUTH said...

Monk this Ted! If you ever need a righteous mixtape with all this good shit on here let a brother know because I have all of this on my computer right now! Man, we don't play around down here in the bottom when it comes to bass music. Til' this day we still get the party live with bass and we don't play regular tracks, at all! Texas play that slow ass scewed up music and we speed it up and ride out! "Santa Claus coming, santa claus coming!"

Telese said...

OMG!!!!! Hoes in this House!!!!!!!!!...what about Let them Hoes Fight!!...lol!!!

Telese said...

Oh and if you get any mixtapes, you have to share!!!!:-)

Telese said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Monk said...

I wonder what's playin' in the 'D' right now. I'll be at the crib next week and hopefully I can get some of the hotness from that '93-'97 era.

Princess Kandy needs to break us off wit' a lil' sumn' sumn' though!!

Monk said...

@ Mr. 95 South,

Man, I just didn't wanna make the post TOO long...that's why I couldn't include everything.

You WENT THERE with "Dickey Ride"...lol. That was the SHYT!! And Imma hardcore Poison Clan fan...not just 'Dance All Night' and 'Shake Whatcha Mama Gave Ya', but the gangsta tracks they had too. Their shyt was DOPE!!

Looking back at all the songs you brought up though, I might have to do a Part TWO to this post. LOL!!