Saturday, March 15, 2008

I Like My Gangsta Rap GANGSTA!!

Photobucket

I LOVE gangsta rap.

I'm a fan.

Fanatic.

I grew up on it and my affection for that particular realm of Hip Hop will always have a special, endearing place in my heart. The brashness is attractive and eye-catching...the straight-foward attitude is refreshing in a sea of lames who beat around the bush and look to make everything romantic and artsy...the unapologetic tone of the curse words are stimulating and it let's me know that gangsta rap means what it says. If I could, I'd give gangsta rap a long, passionate, whole-hearted hug...even though that would add to my non-gangsta...I'd do it anyway cause I love it so much.

Photobucket

I still remember my grade school years when my uncle would pick me up from my grandmother's house with my cousins in the pick up truck and we'll listen to the delightful tunes of ICE-T's "POWER" tape. My uncle had a very lacsodasical approach about the profanity. My cousins and I listened to tales of Drama, High Rollers, and Pushers just before we walked up into St. Mary's of Redford (Catholic) Grade School doors. Is that irony for your ass or what? Nope, I call it balance.

Anyway...whatever happened to real gangsta rap????

With all due respect, the cats that say they do it now, really don't DO it for me like the NWA's, Geto Boys, Spice 1's, DJ Quik's, and UGK's. The evidence is clearly seen as today's so-called "gangsta rappers" SEEK mass appeal.

HELLO!?!?!?

I guess I just don't understand how soft the gangstas are these days. The nigga Eazy-E once rapped about reachin' back like a pimp and slappin' a hoe. Please listen to "Boyz N Da Hood" and you'll find Eazy also throwing "a right cross to knock his old ass out", referring to a young lady's father.

What happened to THESE type of lyrics??

AMG once rapped, "Open up your coach bag, bitch, so I can get paid" in the classic "Bitch Betta Have My Money".

"We don't just say no, we're too busy saying, "Yeeeaahh" / About drinking straight out the 8 bottle / Do I look like a muthafuckin' rolemodel / to a kid lookin' up to me / Life ain't nuthin' but bitches and money" - Ice Cube "Gangsta Gangsta"

C'mon...where is the gangsta shyt these days?? Niggas are too preoccupied with making it rain on them hoes. (Check my previous post: "TRICKS UP, PIMPS DOWN?") What the fuck!!

And when it comes to sex...

It's funny to me how in recent years people still continue to come down on rap lyrics. Maaannnnn, the shyt they doing nowadays holds NO WEIGHT compared to what my nigga Luke and 'em was doing.

"I thought I came in her mouth, but I was only peein'" -Brother Marquis of the 2 Live Crew

C'monnnn...niggas don't even have the balls to say some shyt like this in today's climate. Sheeesh!! And they wonder why they can't sell records.

I'mma go out on a limb and even say this: I love 2Pac's music, BUT I blame HIM for these pussy ass niggas frontin' like they're makin' gangsta music. Pac once said something to the effect that in order to sell records, you have to make records for the girls. The girls will buy it and the niggas will flock behind them. REALLY, that was the death of true GANGSTA Rap.

Cats are out there now just tryin' to sell records...therefore, they're catering to the female audience and trying to make that "club banger".

MC Eiht and Compton's Most Wanted didn't give a fuck about a club banger!! Kool G. Rap and DJ Polo didn't give a fuck about a club banger!! They left that shyt for Hammer, Kid 'N Play, Salt 'N Pepa, Rob Base, Young MC and 'em. No disrespect because I LOVE all of those acts but sometimes I just want to hear some raw Gangsta shyt.

Whatever happened to making people cross over to you???? NWA made that hardcore shyt and the white kids that bought records back then ATE. IT. UP. They didn't compromise their shyt trying to get that club single or trying to sell a bunch of ringtones. They just kept it funky. And it worked!!

For the sake of raw gangsta music, I hope more artists go back to their roots and tap into that rawness that made Hip Hop famous and infamous at the same time...

One of the NICEST (hardest) lyricists EVER: Kool G. Rap...



Here's Cube...


Eazy Muthafuckin' E...

4 comments:

Telese said...

Okay we may be back on the same page...lol!!!...I kinda feel you on this one:-)...I always liked more hardcore lyrics and I would surely put tapes of NWA in my walkman because if my mother knew what I was listening to there definitely would have been a problem. The funny thing is that even more than the gansta lyrics I have always loved really raunchy vulgar lyrics....my female friends used to hate getting in the car with me...I used to listen to absolutely no R&B(with the exception of old school Isley Brother type stuff) I HATED Brian McKnight and anybody like him. I played Automobile and I'd Rather Fuck You to death. AMG's Lick em Low Lover, 2nd II None's If you Want, Got that Feeling by DJ Quik, and Lil Kim's entire Hardcore album were staples in my soundtrack of life...one of my friends told me he would not keep coming to my house if everytime he came in I was playin' Not Tonight again....lol!!...The rawness with no apology always drew me in....which also meant that I was consistently rollin' around Clark's campus blasting Put it in Your Mouth...can we just say my girls hated how much I played that song....hell to this day as soon as it comes on I surely will be singing every single word...lol!!

Monk said...

@ telese:

It's SOOO Many EBP's that will not admit to the fact that they jammed to the same tunes when they was coming up.

My whole thing is these so-called "gangsta rappers" having R&B singers on the hook and shyt. THEM niggas tryin' to sell records!! PERIOD!! Stop frontin' like you gangsta!!

You bring up a good point in mentioning Lil' Kim. Her lyrics (in "Hardcore" were raw. It still sold...Minimum video play and all. It wasn't about THAT HIT!

Thanks for checking in...

Princess Kandy said...

Ok...so can we say that my mouth still blurts out the words to gangsta gangsta for just no reason at all? LOL I often find myself coming from no where with..."here's a little somethin' bout a nigga like me, never should have been let out of the penitentiary."

LOL or my Akinyele cd with pussy makes the world go round, put it in your mouth, or another theme song to the soundtrack of my life, the robbery song..."niggas know we do robberies, we ain't running up in no crib for 2 g's,we want about 50 thou and 4 ki's and maybe after that we just might breath.But if you think it can't happen, nigga please,we put you on your knees, like you was praying, we ain't playing."

I could go on and on. Dang I miss the good ole' days

Monk said...

Me too...