Friday, February 8, 2008

Tricks Up, Pimps Down??

Photobucket

It seems like just yesterday.

Photobucket

I had just left school on a chilly November afternoon. It's 1993. I remember vividly the brisk Detroit wind shaking my hooptie as I drove down the freeway. I was a senior in high school so as usual, I couldn't wait to get as far as I could away from that eight-story prison called Cass Technical High School. On a typical day, I would head straight home so I can change clothes and go to work. But this was no typical day.

I was FEENIN''. I mean, like, Really Jonesin'. So I was on a mission to get to Damon's Record Center, who was my reliable supplier whenever I needed my frequent fix for dope lyrics and intoxicating beats. I just wanted to get hiiiigggghhhhh.... Keep in mind, this was 15 years ago when the shyt we used to intake into our ears was much more potent than the watered-down shyt they sell on the streets nowadays.

Long story short...

I got there...got my shyt...and raced to the car so I can take a hit. I ripped off the packaging and popped the tape into the deck. I just sat there in the parking lot soaking it in. It was DOPE!! It was Snoop Doggy Dogg's (before he dropped the 'Doggy') first tape - "DoggyStyle".

Photobucket

When I got home, I locked myself in my room and indulged.

Snoop's lazy yet acrobatic drawl was the perfect match to Dre's rhythmic symphonies. The lyrics were raw and crass, unapologetic to a degree where it was almost a fault. I really knew that when Snoop said, "I don't love dem hoes," he really meant it. I can't fault him for that. Even though the infamous way he exclaimed "Be-yotch!!" was derived from the great poet Too Short, it just seemed so much cooler when Snoop said it. Photobucket

This was an era in rap music where it was cool to be a pimp. No Doubt. This post is not about the many morality issues surrounding pimps, hoes, squares, and tricks, but moreso a question to the young brothers who were supposedly influenced by these iconic hip hop tunes that some classify as "Gangster Rap". WHEN DID IT BECOME COOL TO BE A FUCKIN' TRICK????

I ask this question with a great deal of sincerity and seriousness because I really don't understand. I don't know, maybe I'm stuck in a different era, but I didn't think we were suppose to love these hoes. Remember Big Daddy Kane and Nice & Smooth's "Pimpin' Ain't Easy"? Ice-Cube's "I Ain't The 1"?? Geto Boys' "Gangster Of Love"??? Hello...Anyone???? Not once in any of these songs did niggas make it rain on dem hoes!! Why is it so "cool" nowadays to throw money in the air and watch it fall on broads' heads and then to the floor? No matter how you look at it, THAT'S TRICKIN'!! Photobucket

You say, "It ain't trickin' if you got it." I say, BULLSHYT!! Regardless of how much you have, if you trick off your money, you's a fuckin' trick, TRICK!! Case close.

What's the deal with young folks these days? They're makin' songs about buying broads drinks, being in love with strippers, even lacing bitches up with jewlery, clothes, and all types of Burken bags and shyt. What The Fuck!?!? A Birkin bag is like 12K. Photobucket If you spending that much, it's obvious you love the hoe. When does the simpin' cease? You're sending all types of mixed messages to the youth by saying that you're a pimp or mack or you're swagger is so undenible, the girls just flock to you. No Nigga...their flocking to you cause you're a trick ass nigga throwin' money in the air. It's not your swag, homie. Sorry.

The music I was raised on taught me that you suppose to spit game to a girl and get her with your mouthpiece. And in reality, any decent woman worth talking to should like you for YOU and not your net worth anyway.

Let's cut to the chase. C'mon dog, be real...you're spending money and making it rain cause you want to hit it OR you're an attention whore yourself. That's it. If that's what you're doing, hey, to each his own, but don't deny the fact that you're a trick. Bottom line is, you's a trick, she's a hoe (if she's fuckin' you for cash or "gifts"), and 9 times out of 10, she's probably paying another dude...we'll just call him "the pimp".

Now, don't get me wrong. I've been known to go to a strip club or two in my day and by no means am I saying that I am tricking-exempt. BUT, I've never claimed to be a pimp either and I damn sure don't make it rain.

I'm just sayin', let's call a spade a spade and stop the frontin', Trick.

This public service announcement has been brought to you by Concerned Citizens For The Betterment Of Dilusional Rappers and of course my2cents-sense.blogspot.com.

6 comments:

Princess Kandy said...

Hmmmm, great topic. Personally I don't like guys who have to use money as a means to "influence me" to spend time with him. It makes tells me that they use money to compensate for all of their other short comings. (ie. lack of common sense, attitude problems, low self-esteem,etc.) I dare not comment on my sisters who sell themselves short for fashion trends that change every season, or a shrimp dinner; again; a self-esteem issue.

But I guess a good question would be....would the guys who claim pimp status REALLY be able to get the ladies if they didn't spend the money? Most of those guys are not attractive to start with. So paying for it may be the only option

Telese said...

Okay you really want me to smack you right now huh?...lol!!!...The truce is over with...I mean, I am speechless....what the hell are you talking about?!!!!!!...I was all ready to agree with whatever you were about to say because you had me and I mean really had me with the comparison of how much you loved the music to drug addict...have felt the exact same way...so I truly know how you felt...used to get in my car and put the tape in before I even closed the car door sometimes...but then you went left on me....first of all why do we always end up here?...the men vs. women issues...why is it that if you spend money on a money it means there is something wrong with you...you are sucka, a lame, or a trick. Why can't it just means you like the woman and you want to do something nice for here. I swear this is why our relationships don't work out now because people don't want to be sincere they just want to battle as too how much money you can get before you get some ass!!...The man wins if he spent nothing right?....Damon that is that Detroit mentality coming out in you...I can hear you talking shit on 7 mile in the summer right now...lol!!...Boy, I can't even say any more...pissed me off...just wait until I come to Atlanta next time...huntin' you down and cussin' you out in person....lol!!!1

Monk said...

Telese...Telese...Telese...

I think you might be missing the point on this one. My point is:
Making it rain=Tricking.

Period. Spending money on your girlfriend or wife isn't neccessarily tricking because that's your lady. However, throwing money at random bitches is not cool and was not prevalent in the music that I grew up on.

Now if you want a man who lacks character and can only get your attention by buying you gifts and showering you with money, then by all means, do your thing. There's a name for women like that...lol.
In essence, all I'm saying is that men need to stop treating bitches like queens if they're not a "queen"...especially if that woman isn't treating the guy like a king. Feel me?

Telese said...

Okay I agree with the "making it rain" crap...that is just ignorant...and it's really sad to see some broad try to hold down her itty bitty ass dress while she attempts to pick up 10 dollars worth of singles off the floor...however that was not all that you mentioned...you also started talking about songs that refer to buying jewelry, clothes and expensive handbags...if somebody is making $40 mil a year and wants to buy his girl a bag that cost 12K then I don't think that makes him a "trick"....Now also I want to address this paragraph:

Now if you want a man who lacks character and can only get your attention by buying you gifts and showering you with money, then by all means, do your thing. There's a name for women like that...lol.

I don't know if this was specific or general but I just want to say that even though I take the opposite point of view on this subject doesn't mean that this is what I personally look for in a man...I have dated men with money and without...if I like you it doesn't matter...I have refused: gifts that I felt were inappropriate, handed back $100 dollar bills with phone numbers on them and told them to write it on paper, and told an asshole wearing a superbowl ring to kick rocks...because he was just that an ASSHOLE!!! And I have dated: a man who at 30 had to swallow his pride and move back in with his parents, A man who immediately stated that his single parent budget didn't allow him to pay for more than one or two dates here and there. Charcter is very important to me and a trait I won't compromise on...I just also believe that any genuine gesture of kindness should be appreciated and acknowledged regardless of whether it be jewelry or coming to my job at 4:45 to knock the ice off my car if it snowed throughtout the day...some people who have always had money don't know any other way besides the material route....you can't fault anyone for that if the gesture was genuine.

And by the way Mr. Thomas...I know you weren't attempting to call me out my name on the low....were you???...do I really have to come to ATL...lol!!!

Monk said...

@ Telese: I don't care how much a nigga make, if you're buying gifts to get a girl's attention, you's a TRICK!! Period. I'm not saying that buying stuff for your woman automatically makes you a trick cause there's nothing wrong with that. But if that's your way of "buying time" with a female then YES, a trick you are!!

Let's get back to the matter at hand though. Niggas are makin' trick ass songs these days...LOL!! There's no denying that...

Telese said...

LOL!!!...I can't talk to you...smh..lol!!!