Wednesday, January 9, 2008

B.E.T. On That!!

Black Entertainment Television.

Photobucket

To some, a place where people go for some of the hottest music videos Hip Hop and R&B has to offer. To others, an shytty network that promotes buffoonery, coonery, and 'nigga'isms (yes, I JUST made that one up). I, for one, am not going to pass judgement on the network based on the state of our music or their programming without looking at a much bigger picture.Over the past several years, I have encountered many people who have a very dismal outlook on B.E.T..

The absence of the news programming that once existed, the redundant imagery in music videos, ghetto-production quality, etc., etc., are all things that B.E.T. has been accredited of.I will say that personally, I feel the network has lost some of its luster it once possessed during its earlier years. I miss Donnie Simpson (What Up Detroit!!), Madelyn Woods, Sherri Carter, Lisa Johnson (Teen Summit was the BOMB!!), and even Chris Thomas (the Mayor of Rap City).

**SIDENOTE: Why in the hell was comedian Chris Thomas the "Mayor" of Rap City?? What were his qualifications?? He appeared in Public Enemy's "Night Of The Living Baseheads" video - which is the GREATEST video of ALL time - but other than that, what made him the mayor???? I. Not. Know. END SIDENOTE**

Anyway, yes, I think Tavis Smiley should've never got booted from the network, but for the most part Black Entertainment Television is NO different than any other television network. And it's foul, to me, how people consistently dog out B.E.T. when damn near every other network is guilty of doing the SAME OL' SHYT.

C'mon now, why all the hate on B.E.T.?? It's funny to me how people will say that they don't watch B.E.T., YET, they are extremely opinionated about the cable network.

For 1.) If you DON'T like it, DON'T watch it!! Period. Case Closed. 2.) If you don't watch it, how in the hell do you have an opinion on it?? It makes no sense for you to watch "Rap City", "106 & Park", "Hell Date", and whatever movie or special they air that night and then complain about it. Fuck Outta Here!! If it turns you off, then turn IT off. 3.) I hear a lot of folks also complain about their programming not being original. This is a lame ass excuse to solely diss B.E.T. because with the exception of FX, maybe the Spike network, and the premium channels, EVERYBODY else's programming is NOT original either.

Photobucket

So why single out B.E.T.?? Instead of pointing the finger at Debra Lee and 'em, you really should also question all the other networks out there as well. But noooooo...they rarely are held responsible for the bullshyt that they air. Man, people kill me...

For real y'all...this is like Black On Black crime. I'm not saying that you should support a network that you disdain, I'm just asking that you really look inside yourself and figure out exactly WHY you're hating on B.E.T. and letting the other networks out there slide.By the way, I'm typing this after just watching B.E.T.'s special on Barack Obama which was followed by their special on the genocide that's taking place in Darfur. I'm yet to see another network even acknowledge what's going on in Darfur (even some news outlets) and this is coming from a network who is really just about "entertainment".

Oh yeah, and the "American Gangster" series is the SHYT!!

5 comments:

smilee_tv said...

I understand a lil somethin of what you are saying.. It's crazy.. Because at this age, BET is actually one of the stations I really do not watch... It's like MTV used to be to me before yo MTV raps came on.. Or before Teck got on real world...and yomtv raps was cancelled... man...I never watch it... BET has taken it's place... I wouldn't say it is solely because of the programming but also because of the music... The video i really wanna watch, I can most of time find them online somewhere... But you are right, I do miss the sherri carters, teen summit and all that... but it's one of those things that I think happens when you start to get older... You don't do the same things you did when you were 17...like you don't eat at the same places..you don't go to the same clubs.. Somethings stay generation driven... BET is for A younger Generation... I am an official old school dude...I have moved onto TVone...lol...so I can watch Martin, NY undercover, shyttt....I even watch G. Garvin's cooking show... I get my "Chef Swain" on! no Homo.. But anyway... BET is dealing with what their focus group results match and thats a younger demographic... Face it D...we gettin OLD! lol

J. Swain

Telese said...

Hello Mr. Thomas:-) Of course it's Telese with comments you know you love;-)....just actually wanted to say good job....I COMPLETELY agree with you this time. It irritates me how black people jump at the opportunity to dog out their own, as if it makes them better or more educated to do so. Lately it has started to irk me that I have met a number of black people who have told me that they "don't do urban parties"....and you know urban is just code for black. When will you ever hear a white, spanish or asian person say some mess like this...ignorance and self-hate are unfortunately still abundant in our community...so sad.

MzGunn said...

Dame, why is it that you always "pass the buck" when it comes to discussing issues?? I think that approach takes the focus off of the issue at hand and makes your argument rather suspicious. Don't get me wrong, I think you have some valid points, but saying that people need to go complain about other networks doesn't really address the issue that a lot of people (mainly blacks) have with B.E.T.

I personally am not very fond of B.E.T. I don't believe in supporting things just because they are "for blacks". To me, doing something like that is very passive and dangerous, not to mention ignorant as all hell. Overall, I just think B.E.T. lacks a variety of black representation. And to me, having one or two shows that are political and maybe address some very pertinent issues in the black community does not even the score.

Monk said...

@ MzGunn,

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you might be missing the whole point of this blog. It's not to excuse B.E.T. for their faults at all - I just think it's a classic example of what I call Black-on-Black crime how black people are quick to diss their own and excuse others. It's just like when folks say that they're not supporting Obama because (in their eyes)he's not BLACK enough. WTF!! Hillary, John, and the republicans ain't black AT ALL, but they don't attack them because they're not "black enough". It's like a sick double standard that I feel we place on each other.

MzGunn said...

@ Monk

LOL - well yeah. I agree. That's just stupid.